Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Happy Pride Month!

I adore Pride Month.  I live off of Lark street, and rainbow decorations adorn almost every shop or stoop.  The First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Willett and State streets decks out in rainbow bunting, and everything just seems a little more bright and cheery.  Maybe that's just me being happy by witnessing first-hand the effects of living in a progressive neighborhood.  Acceptance and love are far more pleasant than judgment and hate.  But let's not dwell on that point.  I don't want to spend time writing about people who don't deserve a moment's thought because they are rotten on the inside.  I'd rather talk about the fact that this Saturday, I get to march in the Pride parade!

Every year, UHPP marches under their banner in support of equality and gay rights, and it's one of my favorite events of the year.  There is nothing quite like rounding the corner from Lark and State, and having everyone cheer for you.  I imagine that's sort of the point of the day;  people showing their love and appreciation for those who may be beaten down by so many.  There is so much acceptance and happiness in the air, and it's one hell of a drug (and I'm not simply referring to the guys in spandex doing yoga on the float in front of us).

Here is the extra good news;  if you would like to march with us, you can!  You'll get a T-shirt so we all match, and you can bring a partner, friend, pet...whomever.  I always march with my dog and he seems equal parts excited and confused by the occasion, but he's a good boy.  I suppose the preceding sentence could also apply to my husband. I kid!  But if you really are interested in supporting equality and UHPP, join us by emailing our HR and Volunteer Associate Amy Wolff at amywolff@uhpp.org or 518-434-5678 x.144.  We'd love to have you.  Not convinced yet?  Then take a look at some photos from years past.




My dog, my blog...deal with it

The Troy Valley Cat!
I wasn't kidding about the yoga spandex bros. Poor Jack, bahaha
With Mayor Kathy Sheehan in the park post-march



No comments:

Post a Comment